0 review(s) submitted. add a review
- Website: http://www.unionmissionministries.org/
- Phone: 757-627-8686
130 Brooke Ave.
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
jump to map
About this ministry
Founded in 1892 by a group of Christian businessmen, the Union Mission Ministries has served as a beacon of light to needy people for more than 100 years. From its humble beginnings as a small shelter in downtown Norfolk, Virginia, to its present status as the capstone of nine different vital ministries in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Franklin the Mission remains a lighthouse in Hampton Roads.
How We Serve Union Mission Ministries has nine different outreaches in three cities. From emergency shelters and substance abuse rehabilitation to children’s summer camp, the Mission is dedicated to serving the least, the last, and the lost in our community. Click on the links below to learn more about each ministry.
Men’s Shelter Women’s Shelter Hope Haven Children’s Home Hope Haven Adult Home Camp Hope Haven Good News Channel 5 Project Romania Industrial Program and Thrift Stores Prayer Requests New Life Center A Brief History of the Mission
In 1892, a group of businessmen and members of Cumberland United Methodist Church had a vision to provide spiritual and physical support for the needy and homeless. From that vision, the original Union Mission Ministries was born, and the Mission opened its doors.Through the years, the purpose has remained the same.
In March of 1956, Union Mission Ministries came under the direction of Dr. Theodore A. Bashford. Upon arriving at Union Mission, Dr. Bashford found little more than a rescue shelter that was badly in debt and had lost sight of its goal. Under his guidance, Union Mission paid its debts, restored a Christian environment, and began again to provide for the needy. Over the next four decades, the mission developed eight different ministries and two additional campuses.
Rev. Bashford continued to guide the mission until his passing in October of 2008. His daughter, Linda Bashford Vaughan, began leading the mission and through her hard work and careful planning, the mission has begun its transition to a new campus on Virginia Beach Boulevard. In June of 2009, the new property was opened to the public and it continues to be a place where God’s people do God’s work.